Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cream of Mushroom Soup (Inspired from Food Wishes)

Finally, we got some mushrooms! I've been meaning to try to make the mushroom soup from Food Wishes. My brother went grocery shopping and found some white button mushrooms. 1 package was Php 115 in S&R.

I served the soup to my family as midnight snack. They all said it was good! Probably because it's pure mushroom, not the flour-based cheap stuff you find in cans or in fast food joints. Or maybe they were just being nice (?).

Cream of Mushroom Soup with pepper on top



See the foodwishes video at this link so you can see the a professional do it. Chef John demonstrates it in a form of a video so it's best to watch his to learn all the details.

For my rookie version, see the photos below. Mine is a different version, because of limitations on what we have here.

Ingredients:

  • 2 packs of white button mushrooms (230g each)
  • 1 clove of garlic, whole, uncrushed
  • 2 small purple onions, chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp of flour
  • 1 can of chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 3 tbsp cream (didn't want it to be too much)
  • a dash of dried thyme
  • a small sprig of rosemary
  • 3 drops of truffle oil at the end
  • salt and pepper


Procedure:

Some of the ingredients: White button mushroom, a can of chicken broth, small sprig of rosemary


1) Put the butter, mushrooms, a big pinch of salt in a soup pot at med-high heat. 2) Keep stirring, the juices will eventually come out. 3) The juices evaporate and the mushrooms are now brown. 4) Turn down to med-low heat. Added the onions and saute until clear. Add the 1 tsp of flour and mix with the remaining liquids. Add the herbs, clove of garlic, and the chicken stock and water.



I left this soup simmering for about 40 minutes to an hour (with a lid), stirring every now and then, while I check work emails and while I take a call from work.


After the soup is finished simmering, let it cool down first. Our blender container is plastic, so I can't put the soup in when it's too hot. I filled it up only to 1/4 of the container so it doesn't spill everywhere when I start to blend.  It should look like that in the right when it's finished.

When I was done blending, I put it back in the soup pot. I added a bit of cream after. When it was ready to serve, I reheated it in the stove at med-low heat.

Finished! Mushroom soup for 4 people. :) Enough for 4 small bowls or  2-3 big bowls.

I got some help from my brother. He knows his way around our kitchen a lot more than I do. Like how to turn on the stove, or where to find out flour...


No comments:

Post a Comment