Friday, September 28, 2012

Habanero Chili Turns Red

Update for October 7, 2012: Chili Fail :(

The habanero chili that's been corking (having cracks on the skin) for a while now. It's been said that the chilis that cork tends to be a lot hotter than the other ones from the same plant. It says that it's also a sign that it's ready to be picked, but then it was still bright green back then.

See the cracks? That's a sign of a very hot chili pepper. On the other side of this is the red tinge.


I've been tempted to pick them already, but it's a good thing that I waited because they're now starting to turn red! The flavor is supposed to be better than the green one. Good thing I waited! I'll probably have to wait another week or two until they get really red. :)

I noticed as well that the side that turned red faster was the one facing the sun. :) The weather here has been gloomy lately and I've been lucky to get enough bright sunlight.

I still don't know what to do with them. Some ideas were hot sauce, chop them up and put into vinegar, salsa... I'll be saving up the seeds as well to share with my friends. :)

Compare the bright green one from the one with the red tinge

To see the growing process of these habanero chilis, click here "My Habanero Chili Babies"

No comments:

Post a Comment