Monday, September 10, 2012

Tuna Sisig from Leftover Canned Tuna

Today, i stayed at home. My family left home for dinner so I made "Tuna Sisig" from my leftover lunch. I put quote-marks, because I'm not entirely sure if it qualifies as Tuna Sisig because it's different from the usual ones where there's mayo or what.

Since I used what was available, I like to think this version is kind of unique. Instead of mayo, I used honey mustard (but only in very small amounts). I also used a little bit of basil for its smell, I picked 3 big leaves from the garden.

Anyway, here's what it looks like...


Ingredients (Enough for 1-2 people):
  • About 1 can of the hot and spicy tuna (I used about 3/4 of the can because i ate some for lunch)
  • Oil from the tuna in the can
  • 3-5 pieces of fresh basil leaves, cut into strips (YES, I had some. I like basil.)
  • About a tsp of minced onions
  • About a tsp of minced garlic
  • A dash of soy sauce
  • About half a tsp of honey mustard (because I didn't have mayo)
  • 1 calamansi


Procedure:
  1. Put the tuna in a pan, break it into smaller pieces. It'll start cooking in its own oil. Add some oil from the can if it looks dry.
  2. Add the basil, onions, and garlic. Let it fry around.
  3. Keep adding some of the oil from the tuna can and let the tuna bits brown. I like mine partially crunchy. 
  4. When you're happy with the crunchiness level, add the honey mustard.
  5. Serve it on a plate then squeeze the calamansi juice over it.
If you like it spicy, add some chopped chili or add hot sauce. Since the tuna I used was already spicy, I didn't need to add anything else. Don't limit yourself to what I've written here! Feel free to experiment and use whatever you like. :)

1 comment: